Need to catch up? Click on the link where you left off and then come back!
Day 1: Savings Goals
Day 2: The First Law of Gold
Week 1: Savings Mindset
Today’s Easy Financial Task: Open a Money Bucket to stockpile your savings.
How to rock this task:
- Visit the website www.MagnifyMoney.com to find a free Savings/Money Market Account (MMA) that has no fees.
- Select the free account that offers the highest interest rate.
- Apply to the account.
Today we’re opening up a Money Bucket Account. What’s a Money Bucket?
After it rains, the water disappears. Why? Because the ground soaks it up. You’re just like the ground. When it rains money on payday, you too soak up the water a.k.a. your paycheck. You need to save some of that “rain” (income) with a bucket.
The perfect place for a Money Bucket is an online-only Savings Account or Money Market Account (MMA). So today I want you to sign up for one. Opening an account can take anywhere from a few minutes to a few days. Make sure you apply for your Money Bucket today because you’ll need it for next week’s tasks.
Why choose an account at an online-only bank?
- It’s FREE. Yay! (At least it should be. Choose a free, no-fee Savings Account from www.MagnifyMoney.com)
- There’s no minimum or maximum amount of money you can transfer into your Money Bucket. You can transfer $5 just as easily as $500.
- It takes 2-5 business days to transfer money from the online-only account (your Money Bucket) back to your regular bank account at your physical bank. This makes accessing your money inconvenient and inconvenient money gets saved. (Don’t open a checking account at the same online-only bank where you have your Money Bucket. You’ll be able to use a debit card to spend your savings or make transfers quickly. Not a good idea.)
The purpose of this task is to show you how easy it can be to start saving. When you open your first Money Bucket, all you have to do is put money in it once per week—even if it’s only a small amount. During next week’s tasks, I’ll also show you ways to cut expenses so you can save even more money!
One more thing: don’t just choose any online account. Use this checklist to help you select the right account for your Money Bucket at www.MagnifyMoney.com.
If you did this task during the last Live Richer Challenge, you can use the Magnify Money to make sure you're getting the best rate.
Gentle Reminder: Every task is a suggestion. The key is to do what's best for you. Also if you DO NOT live in the United States or are not approved for an online only bank account, opening a Savings Account at a physical bank or credit union, that is NOT your regular bank is an alternative.
Look for a Money Bucket/Online Savings Account That:
- Is FDIC-insured. (This is essential. “FDIC-insured” means that the Federal Government insures your money in the bank up to $250,000.)
- Has no fees.
- Has no minimum balance requirement.
- Has the highest interest rate available.
- Bonus: Find out if opening an account requires a hard inquiry BEFORE you apply. A hard inquiry on your credit history can impact your credit score by a few points. Call the bank you're interested in & ask.
Know someone who needs help with saving? Share the wealth and pass along Day 3’s Easy Financial Task by using the social media buttons and teaching the people in your network what you're learning.
Share your plans today with you tweeps.Today I'm opening a Money Bucket for savings using @Magnify_Money! Day 3: #LiveRicherChallenge Click To Tweet
Then share your progress with your accountability partner and with me in the comments vs. email. For example what bank did you choose? I personally use Ally Bank for my Money Bucket Accounts.
Lastly, share your choice in our private online Dream Catchers group. Not a member? Join us HERE.
Ways to find me...
Facebook: The Budgetnista
Forum: Dream Catchers (if you're not already a member.)
Tiffany "The Budgetnista" Aliche
A Freebie: Have you saved and printed the Live Richer Starter Kit yet? It's full of awesome freebies. Click the picture to get your kit.